Monday, April 16, 2007

staple gun

I am sitting in a hotel room across from the Indiana University Medical Center, waiting for the Ambien to kick in, so it's gonna be brief entry, and may get a litte loopy near the end. The past few days have been a maelstrom of taxis, airports, jets, airports, taxis, hotels, paperwork, and hospitals. Sounds miserable, I know, and a lot of it has not been fun, but some of it has: I blitzed midtown manhattan one night with an old friend, and I did make it, by the skin of my teeth, to my best friend from high school's beautiful wedding in San Francisco, and had a romp across the dance floor and through a very very late night, celebrating LIFE (selected pictures to follow, once I get my camera hooked up here). After one day in Palo Alto, mostly spent apologizing to visiting friends for being less than awake due to the two previous night's festivities, we jetted off to Indiana (of all places!) to continue our marathon quest to leave no stone unturned, and get as many expert opinions as possible in one week.

In brief, the Sloan Kettering people said that I need high dose chemotherapy with stem cell transplant. For a few weeks, they would be giving taxol and ifosfamide while taking blood very frequently to harvest and store the stem cells that float around in our blood, and which can, when re-implanted, reconstitute the hematopoietic (blood-producing) tissue necessary to boost my red cell, white cell, and platelet counts, which will fall dramatically low after the huge doses of carboplatin and etoposide are given. Depending on how well I tolerate the treatment, it either keeps getting worse, or doesn't. Horribly enough, if I respond without too much difficulty, then they give me more to smash it that much harder. I don't think that there is any reason that we wouldn't do the treatment in New York if we lived there. And despite the fact that I LOVE New York City, the incredible rift it would cause my family, the distance from all of my support system except for my mother, the fact that New York City is no place to be immuno-compromised (no subway, no taxis, no bars, no pizza, no museums, no drugs...), plus the enormous expense of relocating for a minimum of six months (and possibly much longer than that, depending on what side of the 50-50 split I'm in), means that I don't think that it is likely to happen there. But their science is the gold standard in these circles, and they have set the bar high. We are also putting together a bit more piecemeal all of our questions and concerns about USC/Norris, City of Hope National Medical Center, UCSF, Indiana, and Stanford, and bouncing all of the minutia around, hoping to come out with a reasoned idea of what to do next. We meet with Einhorn in Indiana tomorrow, and then fly home on Wednesday, and will hopefully be meeting with Srinivas at Stanford that afternoon as soon as the plane lands. How many of these have they done? How many stem cell transplants? How many high-dose chemo regimens? How many of each have been for germ cell tumors? Will the doctor be out of town? Moving hospitals? Who is the backup doctor? How long has that doctor been involved? Which high-dose regimen would they be using? Why that one, and not this one? What is the evidence for us doing this versus that? What could the side effects be? And? Yeah, OK. What else? ugh. And what if that doesn't work? How will you know if it has or hasn't worked? What have you got for us then? And why should we do it that way and not this other way?

Sometimes it is appropriate to go one step at a time, and cross bridges when they need to be crossed, but sometimes that's just baloney. Sometimes, in order to make a good decision NOW, you have to have a long-term vision of where things could go, because inevitably decisions made now will affect the future drastically. I know that there are a lot of squirrily, slippity variables to nail down, so where is the staple gun? And don't tell me you left it at home, because I will fly back across the country to get it. Twice, if need be.

8 comments:

lefty librarian said...

Rock on, Lilienstein. My thoughts and hopes are with you. Love always.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update.

Since it sounds unlikely that chemo will occur *at* Sloan Kettering, but that the people engendered great trust, was it possible to get them to weigh in on the various California options and get a sense of which CA institution-regimen combo Sloan Kettering favors?

PS-Please don't be surprised if instead of cupcakes and other baked goods, people start bringing/sending you staple guns and various other power tools. Call me crazy, but I think you just set yourself up for the greatest gag-gift theme ever. :)

Love,
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Josh,
I sent you an email about Avastin. I found a reported case in Germany where it was tried involving a man with choriocarcinoma and embryonal carcinoma, which might not be the form of your cancer.

john from CHORI

Anonymous said...

Hello Josh,

My name is francois, I am one of your father s many friends from french guiana and now agentina. As I know a little bit of him, I am not surprised by the courage and will you have, you show. Like father like son... Sorry for my bad english and maybe inapropriate words. You show us thru your daily blog how long,difficult is your fight. There is things only you can do, others are done by the medical teams...and us, your close or far distance friends, we are warriors too and are by your side. So keep on going, hold on ("tchimbe raid pa moli" should be the french creole traduction) We don t feel unarmed because we have a lot of love and friendship for you, these are our weapons you can count on, to fight on your side. We ll be with you all time, be sure that we care and send across the lands and ocean our best thoughts.
A bientot Josh
Francois, Buenos Aires

Anonymous said...

Hey cousin,

Just got caught up on all the news of the past week--first from your dad's email, then by reading the last three installments on here--sorry I didn't get to see you the short time you were back up here.

We missed you at my birthday party, but we tossed back a beer and had a tasty burger in your honor. Then I went to Seattle for a vacation last week--I'll fill you in sometime--so I have been incommunicado of late. But then, looks like you've had plenty to deal with. To say the least.

I'll try to keep abreast through our parents and your blog so I know when you'll be in town again and I can come visit. I'd bring a staple gun, but all I've got is some glue.

Anonymous said...

Josh,

Yesterday at the AACR annual meeting in LA, Susan asked the clinician, whom I think oversees the Avastin program, if there were any clinical trials of Avastin and testicular cancer. He said someone was going to do a trial in the Midwest, possibly in Indiana. I assume it would involve the docs you met on your trip. If it is (1) not going to be randomized trial (you cannot risk getting the placebo), (2) you agree with their choice of chemo regimen, and (3) they are willing to let subjects be infused at other sites, you could get the Avastin free and have the infusion done locally. Otherwise, if you agree with their choice for a chemo regimen, you could still try to have it done locally and get an offlabel prescription for Avastin. Alternatively, you could follow a different regimen and still add Avastin if there were no contraindications.

John from CHORI

7 and 6 said...

Stay strong and bold, Josh. You're a Golden Bear. We're all with you.

CalifSherry said...

And is anyone talking embryonic vs adult stem cells and recommending you go to say, Germany?

P.S. I see I have a role of duct tape with your name on it.