Thursday, April 5, 2007

One year anniversary

It was on the night of April 3, 2006 that I found a lump in my right testicle. The year that followed that horrible night was one that will mark the rest of my life. It was my own personal 9/11. Damage has been done. But the gash in my groin, four puncture marks in my belly, my ringing ears, my tingling fingers and toes, and my scraggly reflection all remind me less of why they appeared than of a more basic fact: I am alive, god dammit! There is no question that it is because of all of your help and love that this year, with all its horrors, has left as few scars as it has.

The content of yesterday’s meeting with Dr Skinner, the surgeon at USC, came as a complete and total surprise. I had thought that I had driven down to LA in order to hear Skinner’s surgical plan, and if not compare it to the one presented to me at Stanford days before, then at least to evaluate the interest, investment, and preparation of each team, in order to finally make a choice as to who to let slice me up. It was quite shocking, then, when Skinner told me that he did not think that I should have surgery at all. In fact, this famous and experienced surgeon told me that he didn’t want to operate because the only way that he could be confident that he had removed all of the tumor would be to REMOVE my bladder and rectum in the process. And considering that the likelihood is low that there is any live or quiescent tumor still hanging around, the collateral damage would clearly be unacceptable. The option of going in and getting everything that could be removed easily was also deemed a non-starter, since any future surgery would be made much more difficult by the resulting scar tissue. So the plan that he recommended is one of long-term surveillance. There apparently is something like an 80% chance (though nobody really knows) that all that gunk in there is dead anyway, and that any surgery would have been superfluous. There is a very small chance that there is still live tumor which somehow survived the chemo, which will be monitored with frequent blood tests; additionally, there is something like a 20% chance that there is quiescent teratoma hanging out, which could sit there forever, or grow slowly, or undergo “malignant degeneration” and turn nasty again. This will be followed by frequent CTs, and if there is any growth, they would at that point go in and do the surgery that they needed to do to remove the mass. This approach being radically different from Stanford’s, we asked for a referral for a third opinion, and were directed to a team in Indiana, who according to Skinner are the only people with more experience than him at treating testicular cancer. We will be flying out there in a few weeks. In the meantime, though, the thorough explanation I got from Skinner has convinced me not to do the surgery that we had tentatively scheduled for next week at Stanford.

This all seems like bad news, except it isn’t, exactly. After stumbling around in a daze for a while, I realized with the help of some wise friends that even if I went through with the surgery, there would be no guarantee that all of the tumor had actually been removed, and I would still have to be going in for regular screening tests. This way, the only real difference to my daily life is that I don’t have to undergo a gigantic, dangerous, painful, and disfiguring surgery. While the risk of recurrence may be higher because the bulk of the mass didn’t get taken out, that risk is unknowable to begin with, and remains just as vague. The axe hanging over my head will not be any more or less scary.

A long story made short is that things are so ugly in there that… I can just go back to my life?! Huh?! You mean I live in LA again? (Oh, no!) That all of a sudden, I am expected to be an adult again? To collect quarters for laundry, to cook for one, and to wash the lonely dish by hand? I sit in (what apparently is) my apartment, alone, and realize that this last eighteen hours is the longest time that I have spent by myself in a year and a half. What does this mean for the even closer relationship that I have with my parents, and for the many relationships, new and old, that I have with friends in the Bay Area? Who am I, after all of this?

In this empty, quiet apartment, I hope to have the space to find out.

5 comments:

home on Earth said...

Joshua,
I have been exploring healing (in terms of Zpora, at first, but now I think of it in terms of all of us) over the last 10 months and have discovered that it is much broader, fuller, and more alive than I expected. Cure, on the other hand [supposedly and somehow] happens then is over when "normal" sets in. Healing seems to be an ongoing state of being, and tends to keep happening and deepening and evolving. And you, beautiful man, are healing in the fullest sense of the word. Bravo for your courage and brilliance, and for your healing. May your light shine for a very, very long time.
Love,
Ruby

Meagan and Scott said...

Reading your blog from Spain and thinking of you! I have to admit that am going to be sad when you move back to LA! It has been so much fun to see more of you. But I know it is insanely good news for you. And I am so happy for that. Let us all know what happens on the Indiana trip. Besitos!

Anonymous said...

Hey gorgeous person!
Looking forward to hearing about the Indiana doc, seeing you up here or seeing you in LA.
Thank you for keeping we who love you up to date!
jamie

Anonymous said...

Another way to look at things is that you are still in the game. A month from now, a year from now, five years from now, there may be a new drug available that either cures you or keeps you in the game long enough for the next new drug to come along. The drug could simply be a more effective chemo or maybe a targeted antibody or small molecule combined with Avastin, or a dendritic cell vaccine, or some big breakthrough in gene therapy or RNA silencing or something completely new. And maybe ten years from now stem cell science will be so advanced that it will be possible to grow replacement organs.

Ever read Kazanakis's Zorba the Greek?
Zorba came upon an old man planting an apricot seedling and asked why he, an old man, was planting a new tree.
"I live life as though I would never die," was his reply.
"And me, I live as though I might die tomorrow," said Zorba, "which one of us is right?"

John from CHORI

Anonymous said...

RE: Zorba: I feel this tension every day: whether to plan for a long future, or to live for the moment.
On Thursday we have an appointment at Sloan Kettering in NYC. Joshua's tumor markers have risen. I don't know how long we'll be in NY, exactly. Today, and tomorrow many tests are being done to see if they can figure out where the cancer is coming from. And we are pulling together all the medical records from hither and yon. I'm looking forward to getting on the plane with Joshua and Daniel, taking an ambien, and waking up in New York, one of our favorite cities. I hope that Sloan Kettering will provide safety, caring, and effective treatment. If we're there for a while, and you love NY too, it will be great to see you.