Saturday, April 28, 2007

28 April 2007

I am sitting in the backyard of my parents’ house, luxuriating in the soft northern California springtime, and shaking off six very long days in the hospital. It fades mostly into a blur – at least there’s one welcome side effect to all the drugs. Stanford was a more pleasant hospital to be inpatient, despite not having my own room – there was an easily-accessible, private, and stunning garden, and the IV pumps were newer, quieter, and less prone to dusk-to-dawn squawking. Plus the night nurses were cute. Ahem. Hey, any bit helps.

The come-down has been easier so far, too. While the chemo obviously has taken its toll – the screaming in my head has amped up a few notches again, I did spend most of yesterday staring at the wall and fighting rather rivolting blurp-like concoctions, and it did take a rather large dose of sleep meds to overcome the steriods last night – my overall state of being is relatively good. My blood counts haven’t dropped to the same extent as last time, which means that I will be less easily tired, less easily injured, and less immunocompromised, all of which will make it much easier to enjoy the next couple of weeks before heading off to Indiana.

Sitting around is narcotic in and of itself, but it is no good for me. I find that I have to remind myself that just because life has taken a detour doesn’t meen I have to be stuck in a meaningless eddy. The nurse asks: “Are you a student?” – “Well, kind of yes, well, I WAS a student, no actually, I still am, really. I mean…”. Conversations like these remind me that student-ness is as much a state of mind as one of fact, and that I want to remain determined throughout this business to suck this cancer dry for all it can teach me. It takes a concerted effort, though, to remain engaged with the details of what’s going on, because I feel like I have spend so much time telling people about what is happening on a day-to-day level that I get sick of even thinking about my illness. Often by the time I am finally alone and clearheaded enough to sit down and dedicate some time to investigating on a more medico-scientific level, I find it hard not to indulge in more immediate pleasures or obligations. Blogging seems to fall somewhere in-between, but one of the good results of the pressure to produce is that I am provded a forum in which to reflect on what I am doing with my time, and decide what I want to do about it.

4 comments:

jamie.rowen said...

Great. I'm glad to know that you are home, surrounded by your lovely parents and surroundings. Smiles and love,
jamie

OaklandLady said...

It was sooo good to see you Cuz and on such a pretty sunny day. You really look good and there was nothing but positive energy around you and that makes me happy.
Enjoy this time and take it easy- Much love- Jess

Anonymous said...

Joshua has a neutropenic fever and is in Stanford Hospital, Ground D 30, in a private room, with a sign says "This patient gets infections easily. Wash hands for 10 seconds before entering. Keep door closed. No plants or flowers." If you want to communicate with him, please email. He's pretty sick, 101-103 degrees, getting IV antibiotics while they culture his blood. So, far, nothing is showing up in the culture, which is good. His WBC is <400. He was admitted on Sunday night, will probably be there 5 days. The expectation is that when his white cell count rises, it will take care of whatever is making infection, and his fever will go down as the white count goes up. May it be so.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Dear Josh, Daniel, and Cheryl,

Thinking of you all....
I won't visit because I'm around too many little children at preschool.
Please let me know if I can do anything to help... do not hesitate to ask. 494-0112 or adstein@ix.netcom.com
And, Josh, btw.... I just found out that Katie had a crush on you when you were in high school with Adam.... I"m sure her ears are burning (from embarrassment) right now but she's far away in Rwanda so what the hell.....
Karen Stein

Karen Stein