Wednesday, December 13, 2006

round 3

i slide slowly once again from almost-normalcy into the chemically-induced hazy, woozy, uncomfortable, time-warping, personality-distoring state. mercifully, i have little specific memory of how this was the last time around. my brain hasn't been very efficient at remembering much of anything. then again, it all comes as a kind of vague surprise each time.

the big news: my tumor markers are falling along the half-life curves! let me explain: my tumor secretes a couple of different compounds into the blood which allows us to follow its status. everything in our blood - red blood cells, hormones, etc. - has a "half-life", which is a fancy way of measuring how long something circulates around before getting broken down and excreted. my markers have fallen at a rate that indicates that they are no longer being produced at all. now we have biochemical evidence that backs up the observation that my belly is shrinking. the chemo is working!

while this is great news, it doesn't change anything in terms of the treatment plan. we are still going to smash away until the end of february, to improve the chances of having killed it all. i can't say that i am looking forward to it, but i am incredibly relieved that things are on the right track. when the oncological team comes by each morning to do rounds, they have little to say, which is a very good sign. "feeling OK?" "yep." "great. everything is looking good! any questions?" "nope!" "OK, see you tomorrow!"

i am thrilled to say that i am going to get a much-needed break from LA. i got lucky in terms of timing: the next cycle is a different chemo regimen, and it happens to be one that is given routinely at most cancer centers, as opposed to the highly specialized regimen i have been on up until now. we have set things up so that i can do the next cycle at stanford, which allows me to spend the holidays at home in palo alto. i will be heading north this sunday, recuperating over the following week in the comfort of home. on the 25th, i will start treatment as an outpatient at stanford for thee week, and then have another week to recover before heading back to LA and beginning again as an inpatient at norris. this is a good thing from top to bottom. i get to have a change of scene and routine, feel like i am having some sort of holiday, catch up with bay area friends, spend time with my parents. amelie will be heading home to paris, which will give her a much-needed break from the daily stress of dealing with all of this drama.

correction, for the record: the financial situation is not as bad as i made it out to be a few entries back, though it remains ridiculous. there is a $3500 cap on out-of-pocket expenses for the school year, but this does not include psychiatric/psychological services, which have their own $3500 cap, nor does it include medication, which has no cap and a ludicrous co-pay system. one question that remains: does chemo count as a medical expense, or as a pharmaceutical expense? this stuff can't be cheap.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Word up. I get to see you again, and sooner than I thought!

Let me know when you get up here; I won't have a car anymore (been borrowing Noelle's, which she needs back), but maybe I can borrow Maggie's, or else drive down with her. It'd definitely be good to see you and your parents.

And congrats on the shrinkage: keep it up, cuz!

Anonymous said...

Hey Josh. That's great news about heading north to Palo Alto for two weeks. John and I would love to come see you if you want visitors. I'm so glad to hear the good news about your tumor and appreciate the frequent updates. Sending you a daily dose of loving thoughts. Megan

Kacey said...

Enjoy the Palo Alto fabulousness! I'm not heading home for the holidays (tear), because I've been told that marriage is about compromise... and my husbands family is out here on the east coast. So we'll be chillin' in the snow for the holiday.

But thinking of you. Always. =)

-K

Erin said...

you sneaky little guy! I went to see you today at Norris, but found out you had gotten out a day early again! Well, I'm glad you were discharged yesterday, but I am sad I didn't get to see you! Have a wonderful time in Palo Alto, and I would love to visit when you get back.

Erin

Anonymous said...

Yah Joshity Josh Joshy Josh!! I decided that your New Year's resolution should be to finally give up cancer for good! No falling off the wagon this year, pal, I've got my eye on you! Big, warm hugs to you and extra-big hugs for mom and dad. Lots of love and chill vibes headed your way from many crazy black women across the nation- that's right, kid- there are gonna be slightly fewer turkeys and cats in the world this holiday season thanks to toomie.

Love, love, love,
Flo, flo, flo your boat...

lefty librarian said...

Yay. YAY!!! Woohoo! Superterrific and great. I can't wait to hug you.
love.
heidi the g

Anonymous said...

Josh
it is the best news I could have had at 5:18 a.m.!
Would love to see you and have you over if you can.
I'll send an email to Cheryl
Love,
Parnian

Anonymous said...

The good news about your cancer biomarkers is the best holiday treat of all!

If we miss your visit to CHORI today, should we wait until your next week of recuperation to visit you in Palo Alto or will you be receiving visitors during your treatment phase?


John and Susan