Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Birthday post 2008

I looked out the window of my lab, down at the quad of the medical school. A line of second-year medical students was forming in front of a booth that had been set up to administer TB tests. Supposedly, I was a part of that group milling around down there, forming a nebulous line while exchanging beginning-of-the-school-year high-fives and hugs after having spent the summer apart, except that I didn’t know anybody to be high-fiving or hugging, and I have spent almost two years away from school.

As the summer has begun to wane and I look forward to finally re-joining second year of medical school, I have become increasingly worried about being able to keep up. It was daunting enough, before being addled by a flurry of pills and a slurry of secretions. Is it still reasonable to expect to achieve the goals I set Before? What future do I have to look forward to? Untrustworthy doctor? Med school dropout? Disgruntled lab tech? Disability recipient? Family mooch? There have been some pretty scary times over here.

I went downstairs and out into the sun. For a few minutes, I just stood there, sweating, alone in a crowd of people who all knew each other. And then one recognized me. And then I was introduced to someone else. We chatted. It wasn’t so bad. Say what you will about medical students (and I have), but I defy you to find another group of 170 people who are as social, energetic, and can-do as these people. I guess I can deal with that. I got up to the front of the line, and when the nurse asked my name, I started to explain that I wouldn’t be surprised if I wasn’t on the list because you know it’s complicated I’ve been … Oh. I AM on the list? Wow. OK. Great.

After lunch, the herd moved upstairs to the building where our cubicles are. Not that I expected to have one… oh wait. Look! It’s my name! On a cubicle! (this very well may be the first time in recorded history that anyone has reacted positively to this sight). And they had a new badge for me. There I am, peering out from a plastic card! I must actually exist!

A couple of days later, I am walking through the lobby of Norris, the cancer hospital where I was treated, and I see Evelyn, one of my favorite nurses. We exchange hugs, and hold back tears. She asks if I have time to come upstairs and meet a new patient of hers who just started his first round of chemo. Of COURSE I do. He’s in 3314. I know which way to turn out of the elevator. I know where to find the hand sanitizer. And when I see this young man sitting on the bed, hooked up to an IV, looking shaken but courageous, and when I see his mother sitting beside him, looking calm and determined, I know them too.

I can do this.


14 comments:

OaklandLady said...

Bravo Cousin! Bravo!

Anonymous said...

It's your birthday.
You make me happy.
Love, mom

Amber said...

Hooray! Could you LOOK more like a doctor?! LOVE the pic. Miss you.

home on Earth said...

Yes!!! I've missed your voice (not to mention your beautiful face). It's my birthday too, and you make me happy and a little teary. Healing is like that, eh?

Keep in touch, LOTS of us are listening.
Ruby

Steven Schnitzler said...

Hell yeah, you can.

Anonymous said...

beautiful, just beautiful!

Blanche said...

Joyeux anniversaire Josh et bon courage pour la suite de tes études de médecine

Blanche

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday a few days late. I am glad you find in yourself the knowing that you can do whatever you set your mind and heart to do. It probably won't be easy, but nothing new about that. If you just keep being you, your intelligent, wise, humorous,sensitive self - well we all get to celebrate and enjoy you. Nice to "hear you" again. ellen

Anonymous said...

J'ai réussi le concours de médecine en juin. Aujourd'hui c'était mon premier jour. Ca m'a fait douté. Et puis ton post.
Josh, good timing!
Tu peux le faire parce que c'est ce que tu veux faire, c'est ce que tu es.
Bonne deuxième année.

Maria said...

Looking good! The coat suits you.

lefty librarian said...

I missed your bday. I even had it written down on my calendar. So sorry. Hope you had many funs. You look great.
love,
Heidi

Anonymous said...

Of course you can... and you are!
My son Maxime will have his heart surgery on monday october the 13th. I hope the doctors will look like you!

Anonymous said...

Great to read, Josh. Have fun!
-Julia

Sherry Reson said...

Belated birthday greetings, Josh. I have to say, it's unsettling not to see anything more current than August. I know, I know; likely you have more interesting and pressing things to do. Still, as well as amusing, informative and enlightening, I would find another post, well, reassuring.