Thursday, June 25, 2009

Back in Business!

I realize that the tone of my account of the past few days differs quite a lot from that of my parents', but this fact just shows once again that we all experience the world differently. It also clearly demonstrates the fact that I am on drugs.

Considering the intensity of the surgery I just went through, I would say that the past few days have gone stunningly well. While it did take too long to find the right combination and dosage of painkillers so that I could be comfortable, ANY time at all would have been too long: pain just sucks for everyone involved, there's no way to gloss over it. In some ways it might be worse for the caregivers than the patient, when the patient doesn't feel any guilt for not being able to make it better, and when he often doesn't remember most of the pain anyway.

Same with the Fever of Unknown Origin. It definitely sucks to be soaking through pillowcase after pillowcase, but while they have to watch me moan, I get to have some pretty amazing hallucinations and other extra-ordinary experiences. For instance, I recently had the pleasure of serving as a medium via whom the spirits of some close family friends communed with their respective recently-deceased relatives. Now folks, all I am saying here is that's what it felt like when I woke up, but nonetheless, it was a pretty interesting experience that I'll bet made my afternoon quite different from everyone else's.

Personally, I think that it's the previously-diagnosed minor pneumonia that is causing the fevers, and that the antibiotics that I am already on will shortly eliminate this worry. In the meantime, my body is bouncing back amazingly well from an incredibly extensive surgery, especially considering that I just lost my spleen, which while not strictly necessary, would under normal circumstances be participating in the current fight with this minor pneumonia, a not-uncommon post-surgical outcome. I am in negligible pain with the help of a relatively small dose of long-acting MSContin, with no need so far to take the available fast-acting painkiller. I walked about a mile and a half today, absolutely smoking the competition, if I do say so myself. My cough has disappeared, I am up to 2750ml on the Inspirometer, am enjoying normal food, had a real bowel movement, and spent the day alert and chatting with old friends.

Today was an amazingly good day. Tomorrow will be even better!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh--Good to hear you are rebounding. We've been praying for you in IN & will continue to do so. Godspeed my friend.
Zack Canada

Anonymous said...

Josh,
You are amazing!! So glad you're back online and on your way to recovery. We're thinking about you, and look forward to seeing you when you come back to California.
Love,
Phil and Vivian Deutsch

Ashley said...

So happy for you! Hope you had a great 4th :)