Tuesday, March 17, 2009

And... go.

The first time around, I had these gangly tubes sticking out of the inside of my left arm that waggled all over the place and made dressing and undressing an acrobatic activity. The next time, they moved the venous access more centrally, and I sprouted tubes out of my chest. While I could finally take a shower without wrapping my arm in an elephant condom, it was still stressful to try to keep it clean and dry. This time, I have finally achieved a true man-machine hybrid state: this morning, a port was installed. A chamber 2cm in diameter bulges out from under the skin on my chest, and is connected to my heart via a tube that loops over my clavicle and down through my jugular vein. When they want to inject anything or draw a blood sample, a needle pierces a thin layer of skin and enters into the chamber. Way less stress and maintenance. And completely badass.

I sit writing this the night before I start my third chemotherapy regimen. I am feeling strangely... good. All of the stress associated with figuring out what to do is in the past. Now all there is to do is live. Tomorrow I will go to the hospital. It will mostly be boring. Some of it will probably be uncomfortable. Then the infusion will be over, and I will go home. I'll probably feel bad for a while. I'll probably sleep some. After a while, I'll feel better, and we'll go from there. It's very simple, really.

8 comments:

zcanada said...

Good luck Josh. I'm praying for good things to happen for you.
--Zack in Indy

Anonymous said...

You are not alone in this journey. We are
Thinking of you, supporting you and loving
You here on the east coast. You are strong
And courageous and will beat and rid this
Beast once and for all.

Jen kevin connor and Alicia.

Unknown said...

Josh, I hope everything goes well today. You are the one that is a badass. If you are in LA next week, I'd like to pay you a visit, if you don't mind the company.

lefty librarian said...

THE MAN IS A MACHINE! It would be so cool if this machine allowed for other heart things: heartache fixing, heartbreak mending, etc. Oh well. I love you and think of you always. Good luck. And rock on as you do so well.

CJ said...

Yup! Decision then action. Glad to read your post, and to hear about your cool port! Sunny and warm Cali-type weekend here in Minneapolis: the salt is off the roads and I'm driving The Soup around again, now without a cough and with a super chrome tailpipe: yay! Simple pleasures in small details. Thinking of you, wishing you well- Julia

weetruffle said...

Josh....
Thinking of you over here in drizzly old England.
Best of luck to you
Cxx

Unknown said...

Freakin' cyborg. What's next, implanted answers to all the problem sets? Could've used you in college chem.

Ask for an ice cube dispenser and vodka tap next time...

home on Earth said...

"Now all there is to do is live." Beautiful Josh. We should all be so wise and learn this message just reading your poetry. thank you dear man. love, Ruby