Thursday, June 14, 2007

high dose round 2

I am sitting in the exit row, flying back across this vast country, hopefully doing this stretch for the last time. We are on our way back to Indianapolis, after an absolutely essential break in Palo Alto. It was not the break that I had imagined: I had hoped to leave it all behind, to relegate all of the unpleasantness to the time when I was “working” on things in Indiana, and to have a real vacation, unfettered by side effects. Coming from as low as I had been, though, this was of course wishful thinking. Obviously, I immensely enjoyed being home, relaxing outslde, walking around, eating (and appreciating!) wonderful food, sleeping in my own bed for as long as I wanted without being awoken by nurses or alarm clocks, seeing friends and being able to hug them, having conversations without the distracting smell of the hospital seeping out of my pores, and generally participating in the big wide world out there. But it was actually less of a vacation than a wonderful time and place to recuperate. In the grand scheme of things I surely bounced back quickly, but it has felt agonizingly slow from the inside. I spent way more time lying down than I expected. Ten days later, many of the symptoms I described last time are still present – the blotch in the middle of my visual field still makes reading slow, the neuropathy in my feet makes a short walk around the block feel like I have been running barefoot on gravel, and the combination of the dissonant tones constantly screaming in my head with the perception that everyone is only voicing 75% of the words in each sentence makes conversation require eye contact, focus, and repetition.

The prospect of even more damage being done by the next dose that I will be getting, starting tomorrow, is very scary. I know that hearing aids have gotten better over the years. I know that many of my symptoms will diminish in severity, and may even disappear entirely. For instance, my sense of taste has completely returned! But projecting in to the future, the route I had laid out for myself was ambitious enough without factoring in these and other possible handicaps, and there are moments when I can’t help but allow doubt to creep in from the dark corners of my mind. I know that lots of people go through life much more incapacitated than I will be, no matter how bad side effects from chemo get, and no matter how extreme a surgery I may have to undergo. But contemplating someone else’s disability is diffferent from thinking about my own. It turns out that not only is sympathy really not the same as empathy, but that being able to understand what it is like to be in someone else’s shoes doesn’t mean that I have figured out how to tie my own.

For some reason, this second and final round of high dose chemo with stem cell transplant is supposed to be easier to get through than the first one. Maybe it’s because there are fewer unknowns, maybe because the whole process will be a few days shorter because we have already collected enough stem cells and so don’t have to repeat that procedure, or maybe it’s simply because I know that no matter what the outcome, I will not be doing this again. In any case, despite the tone of this entry, I am heading into this feeling (relatively) strong, energetic, and optimistic. There is so much water under the bridge at this point that there is no way to see it other than just another ripple that will crest, break, and move on.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOw...good comment about empathy ("nothing like tying my own shoes"). I hear that. It was great to see you on Saturday. Glad you got to meet Angie too.

Best wishes and huge hugs going into Indianapolis this time 'round. We'll talk soon.

Cheers,
Zak

Zpora said...

dear josh,
i completely hear your frustration around not being as recuperated as you would like in terms of symptoms, and i also think that 10 days in terms of being hit with a chemical truck as large as you did is just a drop in the bucket. imagine the leaps and bounds you will make in 20 days! i'm glad you're going into this round feeling energized and ready, with the recent memory of your backyard and good food and good friends to get you through. you are surrounded by such a vast web of love and safety to help those stem cells build you back up again in no time. can't wait to celebrate with you after the end of round 2. i am thinking of you all often.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Just remember that disabilities are there to be made fun of, and that once you join a particular group you're granted complete amnesty regardless of whether your jokes are funny (see career of Margaret Cho)

Keep it real,

amh

Anonymous said...

Josh,
You are so unbelievably brave. Every time I read your blog, I find your strength--at a time when your body should be at its weakest point--so very palpable. I can practically feel it bearing me up. And your writing is beautiful.
I'm thinking of you and your parents, and praying, praying, praying...
S

Anonymous said...

Reading these glimpses of what you and your family are enduring, I swing between admiration for your impeccable grace and courage and a kind of impotent trollish fury that has me wanting to spit curses at the universe.

Anonymous said...

Despite was you said, you looked absolutely great and wonderful last Saturday and it is an inspiration to see your positiveness.
Visitors from French Guyana are on the way and will be awaiting for you impatiently.
You will soon graduate from Indianapolis school of courage and we will celebrate when you get back.

Anonymous said...

We can't eat out, and everything has to be cooked. So imagine my hoo ha pleasure at the gigantic International Grocery Store the size of Home Depot, not too far away. I don't know where the population of Indianapolis is hiding the immigrants who eat this wonderful food from Korea, Japan, China, Mexico, and the Middle East, but wherever they are I thank them from the center of our cells for bringing mangoes, nectarines(well, maybe these are native...), pork buns, mochi balls, and thai basil et al to the Midwest.

Josh just got his second and last batch of stem cells back, and I shot off several welcome dances. One was the hokey pokey: You take the stem cells out, you put the stem cells in, you put the stem cells in, and you shake em all about. You do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around, that's what it's all about.

Silly songs surface when things are going good...
I also discovered that smearing mango on my face on a hot day is, well, hysterically fun. Try it. It MUST be good for the skin.
Mom