Tuesday, January 23, 2007

transitions

The end of one thing is only the beginning of another. My three year relationship with Amelie has drawn to a close. While this is clearly not a good time to be rocking the boat, I decided that the stress of the status quo was more dangerous than the risk of moving on. The breakup was very traumatic for both of us, and the outcome looks like it will be much less amicable than I had hoped. It was a difficult decision to come to, horrible to actually drop the bomb, distressing to know that she is taking it badly, and sad to think about all of the things about the relationship that I loved, and will miss. But it was the right decision, and I feel that I did it honestly and lovingly (even if she doesn’t). It is deeply saddening to lose such a good friend. I can’t afford, however, to dwell on it right now. I have to remain positive, and look ahead. I am on to a new phase in my life, with new dreams to be dreamt and new plans to be made.

To give Amelie room to move out and move on, and myself a positive, controlled environment, I have relocated to Palo Alto again for three weeks, and am currently doing round 6 of chemo at Stanford. My next round will be in LA starting February 5th, and I should be down there a few days before. If you are local (LA), be prepared for a party sometime the weekend of Feb 2-4.

My white counts mysteriously having bounced back up to practically normal levels, my doctors decided that travel wasn’t too risky, and so I was cleared for a whirlwind weekend trip to New York with my parents. While going to New York is always exciting, the impetus behind the trip wasn’t pleasant: we were there to attend a memorial to a dear friend, Jeff Hoyer, who unexpectedly died of a heart attack. Huge, wild, roaring with strength and intelligence and creativity, for me he embodied New York. His energy careens on through the pulse of the city.

Working as an independent computer consultant to support his real life as an avant-garde musician, Jeff didn’t have health insurance, and didn’t heed warning signs or his friends’ admonitions to seek help. My two cents: Schwartzie’s health care plan is BS. Somebody like Jeff wouldn’t have gotten employer-based insurance, and he wouldn’t have gone to see a doctor because the minimum $5000 deductible on the individual plan wouldn’t have done squat for him until he had a diagnosis. It is a huge barrier to care. There are lots of other problems with it, but now is not the time. I’m sure I’ll be in the mood one of these days.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Separation is always traumatic, wether you initiate it or not. But as you said, you need to move on and you can count on us as your friends to provide all the support to help you through it all.

It is great to see that your white cells have not been affected by the events and are reacting in the proper direction.

Love from the whole family-

Jean-Paul, Lyne, Sophie & Emilie

Catherine said...

I've only just come across your blog and this post touched a chord in me.

I left a safe and secure situation to take a risky chance on love across the other side of the world. I don't know if I have 5 years left or 5 months but I'm inclined towards the view that taking a chance towards much greater future happiness can only prolong my lifespan on this mortal coil.

And if it doesn't? Well, I won't look back at the end and think "if only I had taken that chance". I'll never regret the things I have done, only those I haven't. I'm not necessarily here for the long haul, it appears, but I'll make every minute count whilst I am.

I can relate and I do feel that you are doing the right thing,insomuch as any weight at all can be attached to the subjective opinion of a potentially scary Internet identity.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you are taking care of yourself Josh in yet one more important way. Not an easy thing to do. John and I send you lots of love. You are an inspiration to both of us. Love, Megan

Amber said...

Found a very interesting article that I thought you might want to read. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/30/health/30canc.html?pagewanted=2&8dpc&_r=2